Re: ElementTraversal comments

Hi, Ian-

Ian Hickson wrote (on 2/26/08 3:42 PM):

>> > It's not a subset at all. Clarification is ok too, but I think the
>> > sentence is a distraction.
>>
>> It can be implemented as a subset of functionality.  If others agree
>> with you, I will rework of remove the sentence in question, though.
>
> For what it's worth I didn't understand the sentence either, before you
> explained it. Even now, it sort of reads as saying that if you're not a
> "minimal code footprint" UA (who isn'?), you are not allowed to implement
> other similar specs. Or possibly, you are required to implement them, it's
> not clear. It certainly seems like confusing use of RFC2119 terminology.

Hmmm... well, if you say so.  It seems clear to me, but maybe that's
because I wrote it.

Given that I already mention DOM2 Traversal & Range elsewhere, so people
are familiar with the distinction, maybe it's best I remove it.  I don't
think I intended that as a testable assertion, anyway.

>> Ok, I'll consider something like that.
>
> Incidentally, from one fellow spec writer to another, in particular one
> who has to deal with an ungodly amount of feedback :-), I would recommend
> replying to each e-mail _after_ having made all the changes that you plan
> to do in reply to the e-mail, rather than before -- that way, you have a
> clear way of telling how much feedback you have left, and the commentors
> have a clear way of knowing when to look at the spec to see if they are
> happy with the new text. Just a suggestion, take it or leave it as you
> wish, I just find it helps. :-)

I appreciate the feedback.  I had indeed already made the changes, but
problems with CVS prevented me from updating the public CVS copy
temporarily.  The changes were in the soon-to-be-published version,
though, as I'd said.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI