Re: Exceptions thrown by XMLHttpRequest.responseXML and XMLHttpRequest.responseText

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:27:03 +0100, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren@apple.com>
wrote:
> 3. This specification does not match any shipping version of Internet
> Explorer, which throws exceptions in some of these conditions, but not
> all. (The specifics here are a little weird, so I'll leave them out.)

If you have the specifics available please share them. Testing a bit
further it seems my reverse engineering was a bit flaky, responseText does
throw for me, but responseXML does not:

   http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/XMLHttpRequest/responseXML/017.htm
   http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/XMLHttpRequest/responseText/004.htm

> Would you be willing to consider editing the XMLHttpRequest spec to
> match this behavior?

Unless new information becomes available my plan is to make responseText
never return null. Decoding will always work, invalid byte sequences are
simply to be replaced with U+FFFD characters (similar to other APIs).
responseText will return the empty string before readyState equals