Re: Extra Connection Support Proposal

From: Kris Zyp <kzyp@sitepen.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:47:50 -0700
To: "Stewart Brodie" <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Cc: <public-webapi@w3.org>

> If the application layer wishes to provide hints that particular features
> should be avoided, then that would be fine - provided that the HTTP
> implementation is permitted to ignore the hint.  The same goes for
> cacheing
> - it needs to be hints from the application, not control.
I don't mind if the wording is such that all the API level properties are
treated as hints/suggestions for the underlying HTTP subsystems, that is
fine. Letting the core systems have the final say seems appropriate. But
without these hints a number of important capabilites of emerging web
technologies are being severely hampered. XHR already has a lot of
relatively low level capabilities including access to and modification of
headers (which can be overriden by the underlying subsystems). At least
hinting at expectations of long-lived responses and optimum pipeline
orderings does not seem out of line with what XHR is.
Thanks,
Kris