Re: [selectors-api] Selectors API comments: section 2

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:31:50 -0800
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> The text above only says that the API impl has to support the same set
>> as the CSS impl. It doesn't say that the CSS impl has to support the
>> same set as the API impl. I.e. I see nothing that prohibits the API
>> impl from supporting additional selectors.
>
> I have clarified the text to remove any possible ambiguity related to
> this issue.  The spec now states:
>
>   "If the user agent also supports some level of CSS, the implementation
>    must support the same set of selectors in both these APIs and CSS."

Thanks, that makes it much more clear.

I do sort of think that it's a pity to disallow a selectors
implementation in a browser from implementing additional selectors on
top of the ones in the CSS implementation, for example for the reasons
Boris mentioned. I don't feel very strongly about it, but I'm wondering
what the rationale for forbidding it is.

/ Jonas