Re: XHR tests

From: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:12:25 +0300
Cc: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>

On Feb 12, 2008, at 9:45 PM, Hallvord R. M. Steen wrote:

>> The failure looks like a bug in the test script: HTTP headers are
>> case-insensitive, but it only allows "x-custom-header", not "X-
>> Custom-Header".
>
> I'm not so sure. Given the
>
> setRequestHeader('x-custom-header', 'foo');
>
> do we want to allow browsers to camelcase the header name whenever
> it pleases them? Since some do and some don't this would be an
> obvious source of compatibility issues. The spec doesn't say
> anything but maybe we should choose one or the other and update the
> spec?

   I do not see how it is something the XHR spec can change - it's
obviously an RFC 2616 domain, and RFC 2616 is very explicit in what it
says about header name case insensitivity.

> I'd consider Safari's current behaviour a nasty gotcha for developers,

  We may or may not change the behavior to be compatible with other
engines in this regard in the future. However, I am pretty sure that
an official W3C test suite should not flag us with a "FAILURE" as long
as we conform to the letter of RFC 2616.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov