XHR test http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/XMLHttpRequest/responseXML/009.htm

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 17:08:16 +0530
To: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Hi,

this test says it checks what happens when you load an invalid XML
document. Unfortunately it actually loads the wrong document at the moment
- http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/XMLHttpRequest/responseXML/support/008.xml
(which is well-formed) instead of
http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/XMLHttpRequest/responseXML/support/009.xml
which has an ampersand and is not well-formed XML.

I suggest we declare this test invalid, and either replace it and declare
it valid only after such date as it is fixed, or simply add a new test
that gets the correct file.

The test checks one aspect of step 3 in the part of section 4 that deals
with "XML response entity body", which requires that content which fails
XML well-formedness should have a responseXML of null - in this case the
responseXML should be null because the file loaded contains an unescaped
ampersand.

I could not find any issue raised and resolved for this in the issue
tracker, but it is mentioned in a thread at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2007Feb/thread.html#msg088
followed by an apparent summary at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2007Mar/0090 (I am
assuming, since the summary there matches what I understand the document
to say on this point).

If we make the change, what is the conformance status? Given that
http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/XMLHttpRequest/responseXML/006.htm (which
also tests XML well-formedness errors giving null responseXML) is not one
of the tests failed by a lot of browsers, I suspect the issue will go
away, but I haven't actually run the tests on other browsers yet. So I
suggest there is no real issue here, just an incorrect test.

cheers

Chaals