Re: IE Team's Feedback on the XHR Draft

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:12:59 -0800
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Sunava Dutta <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, "public-webapi@w3.org" <public-webapi@w3.org>, Gideon Cohn <gidco@windows.microsoft.com>, Zhenbin Xu <zhenbinx@windows.microsoft.com>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, Marc Silbey <marcsil@windows.microsoft.com>, Ahmed Kamel <Ahmed.Kamel@microsoft.com>

Doug Schepers wrote:
> Moreover, this is, in fact, what this WG was chartered to do regarding XHR:
> "This deliverable should begin by documenting the existing
> XMLHttpRequest interface."
>
> The question becomes, is IE's implementation to be considered canonical,
> or is it up to interpretation vis a vis later implementations (FF,
> Opera, Safari, et al)?

I remember that we started the XHR spec with this goal. However it
pretty quickly became clear that we couldn't archive a useful subset of
functionality that was compatible between all existing implementations.

I think in all cases we've tried to be as compatible with
implementations as we could, but in cases where we couldn't we've had to
compromise.

> Pursuant to that, is there a way to document the existing behavior such
> that it does not make existing implementation retroactively
> "non-conforming"?  Or that does not affect existing content?  I don't
> know whether or not the existing specification meets these criteria, but
> I think that would be the best path forward.

I don't think doing that would be very useful as a spec. It would
basically just be a brief tutorial of the various functions and their
arguments. Something that there are plenty of on the web already.

/ Jonas