Re: [SelectorsAPI] Thoughts on querySelectorAll

From: John Resig <jresig@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:40:48 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org

> True, though this would be significantly slower since the
> implementation
> would match against all nodes in the whole document, only to have many
> of them filtered out.

Sure - but that's presuming that the performance benefit to these users (of which there are none that I know of) would outweigh the usability benefit to everyone else (of which there are hundreds of thousands, via libraries and eventual personal use).

I would assume that the goal here would be to design an API that is constructed well enough that it removes the need for JavaScript library-based selectors - that, theoretically, we could arrive at the day in which everyone is using a single, obvious, API for querying the DOM. Crippling that API with a known defect and usability issue would do it no favors to adoption.

--John