Re: [SelectorsAPI] Thoughts on querySelectorAll

From: John Resig <jresig@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:34:15 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, public-webapi@w3.org

> But that would mean that .querySelectorAll(":root div") would never
> match anything since :root (or :scope) could only match the element
> itself, which of course isn't a descendant.

I was under the impression that within the context of a DOM element :root would be equivalent to the root element itself - not the document element.

Thus these two would be equivalent (returning the same sets of elements):

  document.getElementById("test").getElementsByTagName("div")
  document.getElementById("test").querySelectorAll(":root div")

If that's not the case then disregard all of the previous ":root is a good solution" talk, because that's what I was basing this on.

--John