Re: [selectors-api] Handling :link and :visited Pseudo Classes

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:35:41 +0000 (UTC)
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> >
> > I think that you should just require that if the UA implements :link
> > and :visited at all any link must match one or the other.  Which one
> > is up to the UA.  That allows UAs to impose security policies as
> > needed while still allowing authors to match all links with ":link,
> > :visited".
>
> This sounds like an excellent idea to me.

I agree that the above proposal is the most sensible one so far. It allows
any solution to the privacy issue without compromising on the core
invariant of the two pseudo-classes and without sacrificing any potential
use cases. It even handles the case of a UA wanting to make site-local
links follow the pseudos but site-global links not leak information.