Re: [selectors-api] Handling :link and :visited Pseudo Classes

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:21:41 +0200
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: public-webapi <public-webapi@w3.org>

* Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>I have noticed that to address this issue, Microsoft's implementation in
>the current IE8 beta, both :link and :visited pseudo-classes are being
>completely ignored.  That approach would technically fall under "other
>measures to preserve the user’s privacy", but it seems like it could be
>an interoperability issue.

I don't understand what you mean by ignored, could you elaborate? Does
it return elements that would not be matched by either class in a style
sheet?

>I'm considering adjusting the spec to allow just two options, and making
>IE8's behaviour non-conforming.

That would be bad, there are many sensible options for user agents to
adopt here, for example, report same-site links and the referring page
accurately, but report all others as unvisited. Those should not be
disallowed. Better would be to explicitly disallow methods known to be
problematic.