Re: [Element Traversal LC] access to element by index

* Jonas Sicking wrote:
>I'm not following this argument at all. Neither would content that uses
>.globalStorage, .forms, .querySelector or anything else that's not in
>the SVG Tiny spec.
>
>We're trying to make a new API here, of course content that uses that
>API isn't going to work in implementations that don't support it.

Look at this from the perspective of the SVG Working Group. The idea was
simply that the element traversal feature defined in the SVG Tiny 1.2 CR
would be put in a separate specification maintained by a separate WG and
they would replace their definition with a reference to the new spec.

If we add features to the specification they don't want to require of
SVG Tiny 1.2 clients, they can no longer do that, they have to "profile"
the specification and highlight, probably in both specifications, that
the new feature is not necessarily available in SVG Tiny 1.2 clients,
leading to complaints about the profiling and confusion among authors,
who will use the feature in their supposedly Tiny 1.2 content because it
happens to work in the clients they tested it in (but not in others).

Both would be less so if the new feature is not added to this version of
the element traversal specification, so I would expect them to say they
are unhappy with the addition and, if the feature really has to be
added, ask that it be added to some other specification. It's simply a
problem you'll likely have to deal with when adopting the NodeList idea.