Re: [Element Traversal LC] access to element by index

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2008, at 00:48, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> OK.  So item() would be available on Element after casting it to
>> NodeList in those implementations.  I guess you're saying that the
>> cast would not longer be unambiguous if there were multiple NodeLists
>> that might make sense?  So childElements couldn't be implemented with
>> a |return this;|?
>>
>> That doesn't seem like such a terrible implementation burden to me, to
>> be honest...
>

> I'm not claiming it would be awfully hard, but it does change the impact
> of Element Traversal from adding four or five methods on an existing
> class (mere code footprint; super-simple) to adding more run-time object
> instances. And then, there are issues like should childElements return
> the same object every time. And if yes, then the implementor needs to
> add a new pointer to each element node or to add a hashtable on the
> owner document or something along those lines. Again, not awfully hard,
> but still more complex than just adding convenience methods on an
> existing class.

Sure it's more complex, but it's still trivial.

> And to what end? To use indexing instead of list-style
> iteration.

Exactly. Something that I would imagine is quite commonly done. Note
that we're not just talking iterating over a full DOM tree, we're also
talking about navigating around in a DOM tree from one known specific
node to another.

/ Jonas