Re: Compatibility of SVG Tiny 1.2's getURL() and XMLHttpRequest

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:02:44 +1000
To: public-webapi@w3.org

Hi Maciej.

Maciej Stachowiak:
> The easiest way to ensure that getURL() and postURL() could be
> implemented with XMLHttpRequest behind the scenses is to define them
> in terms of equivalent XHR operations and normatively reference XHR
> (implementations would be required to act as if it had been
> implemented this way).

This may indeed be the easiest way, but I am sure there will be
significant push-back on adding another normative dependency that is
still in WD.

> Better still would be to drop them and replace them with a requirement
> to support XHR, since they provide a subset of its functionality
> without significant added convenience.

There is a fair amount of content out there that uses these methods,
their having been introduced by ASV, so I don’t think it’s feasible to
just drop them.

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/