Re: [XHR] i18n comment 8: content negotiation handling

From: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:02:49 +0000
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Alexey Proskuryakov" <ap@webkit.org>, addison@yahoo-inc.com, public-webapi@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org

"Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:47:02 +0100, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>
> wrote:
> > on 29.11.2007 20:16, Anne van Kesteren at annevk@opera.com wrote:
> >
> >> I think it actually makes sense to require user agents to not set the
> >> Accept-Language as appropriate so that content authors can do that.
> >
> > The author does not have access to browser or OS defaults, so I think
> > that the UA should set Accept-Language, but not override one specified
> > by the
> > author.
>
> Isn't that what navigator.language is for?

Do you think that content authors are going to bother setting the
Accept-Language request header on every XHR request that they make?

No, they are going to assume that the browser sets it automatically

I think it is a decent compromise to permit authors to set the header and
have that suppress the user agent's own header.

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer