Re: Window pointer

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:14:06 +0100
To: "Stewart Brodie" <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>, public-webapi@w3.org

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:51:04 +0100, Stewart Brodie
<stewart.brodie@antplc.com> wrote:
> "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > In such a case of a window having been deleted, and consequently the
>> > document within that window, what is the base URI?  Is it the base URI
>> > of the last document that inhabited the window?
>> The Window is not deleted.
> Does that go for the document too?

Yes. I'm not sure why it would be removed. After all, the Window object
has references to it.

http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/XMLHttpRequest/open/015.htm tests this.

> Does this mean that any Window whose document uses XMLHttpRequest will
> continue to exist and consume resources until the entire browser process
> terminates?

That depends on whether the XMLHttpRequest object is used outside that
Window. I suppose that with certain implementation techniques you can also
limit the amount of resources needed. Rendering and such is no longer
necessary for instance.