Re: Window pointer

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:49:01 +0100
To: "Subbu Allamaraju" <subbu.allamaraju@gmail.com>
Cc: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:31:24 +0100, Subbu Allamaraju
<subbu.allamaraju@gmail.com> wrote:
> But this can be done without requiring that "a persistent pointer to the
> associated Window object must be stored on the newly created object". An
> implementation can store whatever it needs to resolve the URI argument.
> Isn't the requirement on the resolution and not on storing the pointer?

I'm not sure what you mean. The URI is resolved the moment open() is
invoked. If between creating the XMLHttpRequest and invoking the open()
object the base URI of the document of the Window you have a pointer
towards changes that has to be taken into account. If that Window is
removed from the document (by removing the <iframe> that contains it) you
still need to have a pointer towards it to ensure that the URI is properly
resolved. This is how Internet Explorer handles these cases based on these
testcases:

   http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/XMLHttpRequest/open/