Re: XMLHttpRequest: BOM detection for responseText

From: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap-carbon@rambler.ru>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 22:57:46 +0400
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

* Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> [Sat, 19 May 2007 14:22:37
+0200]:

> The steps are about returning a value for the text response entity
body
> so we can't terminate them at this point.

  Indeed - that's an editorial mistake on my part (fixed that in one
place, but not here).

>> 4. If charset is "null" and the Content-Type MIME type contains a
>> charset parameter let charset be the value of that parameter.
>
> Shouldn't the charset parameter always overwrite everything?

  The only thing it could override at this step is a charset deduced by
XML rules, and those already account for Content-Type (which is why I
wanted to terminate detection in step 3 :) ). Maybe this needs to be
mentioned explicitly to reduce confusion.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov.