Re: [XMLHttpRequest] update from the editor

From: Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 13:52:01 -0400
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On 5/14/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> Personally I don't think lack of registration is a particularly
> strong reason not to define handling for a particular MIME type.

At the very least, the W3C/IETF liasons should discuss this. It is
exceedingly bad manners to squat a on parts of a shared namespace,
such as MIME types or HTML tag names, in the first place. The W3C
should not reward that behavior by standardizing unregistered types.

I have to wonder why the type was suggested if no one has any usage
data. If people are using it, this particular type is water under the
bridge, so I personally feel that the IETF should register and
document it. The registration procedures are a lot easier now.

--

Robert Sayre