Re: upload progress events

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Anne, Ian and I were discussing the fact that the Progress Events spec
> requires duplicates of every event for upload as well as download. This
> makes the spec a fair bit more complicated, especially if it ends up
> specifying a number of different progress events.
>
> As far as I know, this feature is only needed for XMLHttpRequest, since
> it's the only obvious element we can think of that does both upload and
> download, and where it's important to keep the two separate.
>
> However, we thought of a possible alternate design that might cover this
> case better. In brief, the idea is to use the same set of events for
> upload and download, but to provide a separate EventTarget attached to
> the XMLHttpRequest object, which is the target all the upload-related
> events; XHR itself only dispatches the download events.

What the upload event target would look like?
I think there should be some way to get from upload to the xhr object to
identify what xhr the upload object is related to.
So maybe something like

interface XMLHttpEventTarget : EventTarget {
   attribute EventListener onload;
   attribute EventListener onerror;
   attribute EventListener onprogress;
   attribute EventListener onabort;
   attribute EventListener onreadystatechange;
}

interface XMLHttpRequest : XMLHttpEventTarget
{
  readonly attribute XMLHttpUpload upload;
}

interface XMLHttpUpload : XMLHttpEventTarget
{
    readonly attribute XMLHttpRequest request;
}

This is probably something to be defined in XHR2,
so probably for gecko it is better to keep dispatching
"uploadprogress" to xhr.

-Olli