Re: [XMLHttpRequest] update from the editor

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 15:35:39 -0700
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>

On May 8, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> On May 8, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>>
>>> [1] not sure if it should be a MUST or SHOULD requirement.
>> It should be a MUST because:
>> - We want test cases to cover it.
>> - There's no sensible reason to let a UA to not treat any of the
>> listed types as XML if it supports XML at all, if at least some
>> UAs do.
>> I'm also not sure of the benefit of letting the UA treat arbitrary
>> other types as XML besides those listed. Modern XML MIME types
>> should all be following the +xml convention. And clearly for
>> interoperability we want it to be the case that the UA MUST NOT
>> treat text/html or text/plain or image/png as XML types. What
>> types are there where it would be acceptable for the UA to go
>> either way?
>
> Currently mozilla treat 'text/rdf' as XML in addition to that list,
> though I don't feel strongly about including that. Don't know how
> much stuff out there with that mimetype. I'll check with rdf people.

I'd rather either have all browsers support it or none, than to have
Mozilla be different. I don't feel strongly about specifically
including it or not.

> If we are making the list absolute, I feel weird about including
> things like 'text/xsl' and 'text/rdf' as neither of them are real
> mimetypes. Is there really a lot that would break if 'text/xsl' was
> not included?

No clue. I don't think it's bad to make requirements for unofficial
MIME types, since in theory no one should be using them for either
XML or non-XML, so UA requirements for them can be considered error
handling.

Regards,
Maciej