Re: The XMLHttpRequest Object comments

Maciej,
Maybe it's OK for the XHR spec itself to not require XML support, but
instead have other higher-level document format specs such as HTML5 and/or
some future version of SVG require that implementations support not only
XHR but also XML over XHR. Within the XHR spec itself, perhaps there could
be an informative comment that indicates that there is an expectation that,
when used with languages such as HTML or SVG, XML support would be
included.

Jon

             Maciej Stachowiak
             <mjs@apple.com>
             public-webapi-req         Innovimax SARL
             uest@w3.org               <innovimax@gmail.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       Anne van Kesteren
             05/07/2007 04:16          <annevk@opera.com>,
             PM                        public-webapi@w3.org
                                                                   Subject

On May 7, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Innovimax SARL wrote:

> I agree that it seems strange to have an "XML"HttpRequest that does
> not support XML at all !!

I don't necessarily agree with that, I can see that non-XML UAs may
still want to support it only for transmitting text. But I think
there should be a conformance class that does include the XML
support, even if the baseline conforming implementation doesn't.