Re: Recent spec change to XMLHttpRequest default Content-Type

Jim Ley schrieb:
> (off list?)

Sorry, hit the wrong reply button...

> "Carsten Orthbandt" <carsten@pixeltamer.net>
>> Jim Ley schrieb:
>>  The HTTP default content type (octet stream) is actually exactly
>>  the type it is: an opaque data stream not meant to be interpreted.
>
> No, don't agree at all with vnd. and prs. content types so cheap you
> should always create a content type for your content, it makes a good
> part of the contract between you and the service you're providing.

The contract is between my server code and my client code. Everything
else inbetween should treat it as an opaque data stream. And that is
the actual default for "no content type specified".

>> What's so terribly bad about NOT breaking older apps that are 100% in
>> conformance with HTTP and the older XMLhttpRequest spec?
>
> Where's the breaking?  the error in mozilla is not fatal - it's just a
> warning about not being able to create responseXML is it not?
>
> If it is fatal, then yes it's a mozilla bug, but it's a mozilla bug, not
> related to the spec, and using a specification to force vendors to fix
> bugs isn't a good strategy.

It is actually NOT a warning, but logged as a hard error. Which is rather
strange since it doesn't affect the script at all.
And even a warning is bad since there are possibly hundreds of them every
minute.
It wasn't my idea that this belongs to the spec at all. Anne sort of finished
the discussion in the bug entry by referring to the spec as "thats exactly
how it should be".

Carsten Orthbandt

pixeltamer.net
c/o Carsten Orthbandt