Re: Recent spec change to XMLHttpRequest default Content-Type

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:10:39 +0100
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Carsten Orthbandt" <carsten@pixeltamer.net>
Cc: "Web API WG \(public\)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

"Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
> I have to agree here. If a recipient decides to do content-type guessing,
> the fact that the type is not what was tested is not an error. One more
> reason not to guess in the first place.

But it might be what's tested just invalid - if the user expected the
sniffing behaviour he'd then be wondering why it wasn't getting a document,
or any errors, in situations that rely on guesswork of content, it should be
left to the browser what that guesswork is.

> However, IMHO the right thing to do here is to attach a proper
> content-type header in the first place.

Yes, it's not an error that developers should ever be seeing, just ensure
there's a content type appropriate to the content, so I think it's a pretty
artificial problem.

Jim.