Re: [XHR2] text/html and responseXML

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:32:00 -0700
Cc: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

On Jul 28, 2007, at 4:04 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Jonas already mentioned it in another e-mail and this feature was
> indeed planned (by me 8-)) for XMLHttpRequest level 2. responseText
> already follows text/html rules for encoding detection etc. but for
> parsing we probably need to state that it needs to run with support
> for scripting disabled which affects how <noscript> is parsed etc.
> I'm wondering if we should do it like that or have scripts not run
> and parse <noscript> as if scripting was enabled. (I'm not sure
> whether HTML 5 has an option for the latter, but that's for instance
> how html5lib currently works.)
>
> Any opinions on this? Anything else I should pay attention too when
> adding this feature?

I would guess a popular use would be to grab HTML fragments and insert
them into the current document, in which case it would be desirable to
parse as if <noscript> was not disabled. I'm also not sure that
scripting needs to be disabled, at least in the non-cross-domain case.
I could imagine interesting uses for either.

Regards,
Maciej