Re: Ambiguity in removeAttributeNode

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:05:20 +1000
To: Travis Leithead <travil@windows.microsoft.com>
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org, ian@hixie.ch, bjoern@hoehrmann.de, Chris Wilson <chris.wilson@microsoft.com>

Hi Travis.

Travis Leithead:
…
> IE fails in this example and triggers the try/catch. FF works, Opera
> also fails. It seems that some browser implementers deciphered the DOM
> Core spec::removeAttributeNode to mean that "object" comparison is used
> as the delete criteria, but others seem to only base it on the "name" of
> the Attr.
>
> Is there hope in coming to harmony across implementations on this point?
> Or how should the spec be interpreted?

The description for removeAttributeNode does say:

  Removes the specified attribute node.

So it seems clear to me that it should remove only the exact Attr object
that was given, rather than any Attr on the object that has the same
name.  What text do you think is ambiguous?

WebKit’s behaviour is also the same as IE and Opera.  I’d say it’s a bug
in Firefox.

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/