Re: New draft of Progress events

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:11:11 -0500, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:49:06 +0100, Charles McCathieNevile
> <chaals@opera.com> wrote:
>> ? I don't understand what you mean here. Specs can require what they
>> like, of course. Or not - this specification exists independently and
>> can be implemented without a reference, since it is designed not to
>> require firing
>> anywhere and allow them where you like...
>
> So what's unclear to me is which specification will specify whether this
> event is dispatched for XMLHttpRequest, <html:link>, <html:script>,
> <xbl:script>, <xbl:style>, etc.

Ah. This specification doesn't define where it is used, just sets some
expectation of where it might be used. So it makes sense to add a note
suggesting that other specifications say where it may/should be used (or
must,
although I have explained why I don't think specs should do that).

> It's also unclear to me which specification will specify when this event
> is dispatched. XHR2 will most likely have the "load" event as well, but
> does the last "progress" event, if any, dispatch before or after
> readyState changed to 4?

That's up to XHR, IMHO. We will be lucky if they keep close enough to
define
together for v1, although we might be lucky enough...

> I think the only reasonable thing this specification can do is to define
> the semantics of the events and leave the rest of the details to other
> specifications. Such as when it's dispatched, if ever. Of course, the
> specification can give some general guidance on how to do that.

OK, so I think we actually agree.

>>> I'm not sure this makes much sense in the long term.
>>
>> Maybe not, but for backward compatibility it makes sense to me. And Iam
>> not sure why a spec should say that the event must fire.
>
> So that you can rely on them as an author. Anyway, as stated above I
> think this is better left for other specifications to define.

I think that it is a bad enough idea relying on the events as an author
that we
should say "you should not" in this spec.

>>> If there was a good reason for the change surely you want all those
>>> methods to behave the same way.
>>
>> Maybe. On the other hand, maybe you want your implementation to keep
>> working like it did yesterday. Hence the issue - what do others think?
>
> That's a reason not to change how DOM Level 3 Events defines it.

Sure, but whether this spec copies that (so it won't change on the
off-chance
that it does there) or references it (so you have to check there first) is
the
issue here.

cheers

Chaals