Re: XHR: responseText encoding detection

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:34:48 +0100
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Alexey Proskuryakov" <ap-carbon@rambler.ru>, public-webapi@w3.org

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:57:10 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> Well, does any of the existing implementations support parsing HTML and
> returning an XML DOM? And why would you want to do that in the first
> place?

FWIW, there's no such thing as an "XML DOM" as far as browsers are
concerned. (Although IEs implementation may differ at this point.) There's
a single DOM and HTML and XML are just different serialization formats.
Given that responseXML returns a DOM...

> If we start adding new things to the spec, then please let's try not to
> add hacks, but to define good new APIs. Setting the headers comes to
> mind, or the ability to retrieve binary content...

Those are being considered. I personally wouldn't consider it a hack.