Re: [XHR] send doesn’t explain what to do when method is GET

Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> Disagreed. Please do not try to standardize HTTP APIs that profile
>> what HTTP allows.
>
> XHR already disallows a lot of things that HTTP allows. Setting certain
> headers, cross site requests, etc. Why is this different?

XHR should only disallow things when there's a good reason to do so,
that is, when the fact that XHR requests can be invoked by client-side
script in HTML pages affects the security picture.

I don't see what that would have to do with GET bodies.

>> Besides that, Björn already reported that both IE7 and FF happily pass
>> the body, as they should (IMHO).
>
> My reading of Björns email was that they did not drop it for HEAD,
> OPTIONS and EXAMPLE did not drop the entity body. In my testing IE,
> Firefox and Opera all dropped the entity body of GET requests.

OK. If an implementation behaves differently for GET and HEAD - *except*
for handling the response body - this is very clearly a bug, as stated
by Björn. Do you want to wire that bug into XHR?

> So if for no other reason, interoperability seems like a good argument
> for stating that this should be done.

Again disagreed. Interoperability may be a good argument for warning
people about a certain feature, not requiring everybody not to support it.

BR, Julian