Re: Key Events internationalization

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:22:11 +0200
To: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: <public-webapi@w3.org>, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

* Richard Ishida wrote:
>The DOM appendix A gives an example of pressing the key engraved with Q
>on a US physical kbd with a serbian mapping applied.  The example quotes
>the result as "keydown": "U+0409".  How is the implementation supposed
>to figure out that the appropriate identifier is U+0409, when all the
>tests I've done have returned the 81 (Q) result.

Your application is looking at the .keyCode and .charCode attributes;
those have yet to be specified and they are not part of the appendix.
Instead the appendix discusses the .keyIdentifier attribute.

>Does the implementation have tables for every keyboard mapping and
>every physical keyboard, and use those to map the codes coming from
>the keyboard into the right identifier?

I am not sure why an implementation of DOM Level 3 Events would, it
seems to me the keyboard mapping happens at a lower level. Could you
perhaps rephrase the question?