Re: Implementing HTMLDocument on all Documents (detailed review of the DOM)

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:08:24 +0200
To: João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>, liorean <liorean@gmail.com>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:23:47 +0200, João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>

>> Does this make sense on Element? I mean, the class attribute and it's
>> semantics are HTML/XHTML specific.
> The same goes for innerHTML.
> I agree there could be a generic property to access the markup directly,
> but
> innerHTML's name is out of context.

innerHTML is actually not specific to HTML, despite its unfortunate name.

In an XML context, innerHTML, on getting, returns a serialized string of
the node's children, in XML syntax. On setting it parses the assigned
string as XML and replaces the node's children with the parsed XML.

Simon Pieters
Opera Software