Re: Implementing HTMLDocument on all Documents (detailed review of the DOM)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:23:47 +0200, João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Does this make sense on Element? I mean, the class attribute and it's
>> semantics are HTML/XHTML specific.
>

> The same goes for innerHTML.
> I agree there could be a generic property to access the markup directly,
> but
> innerHTML's name is out of context.

innerHTML is actually not specific to HTML, despite its unfortunate name.

In an XML context, innerHTML, on getting, returns a serialized string of
the node's children, in XML syntax. On setting it parses the assigned
string as XML and replaces the node's children with the parsed XML.

    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-dynamic.html#innerhtml1

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software