Re: Official results of memeber-only vote on Selectors API name combos

Hi Charles & everyone,

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:56:59 +0200, Travis Leithead
> <travil@windows.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Recently, a member-only vote was held
>> to attempt (yet-again) to resolve general complaining, grumbling, etc.,
>> about the latest API names chosen for the Selectors API spec
>
>> I suppose a vote was the only fair and equitable thing to do.
>
> Well, it seemed the last best hope to stop going around this forever.
>
>> I suppose
>> this thread is now open to hear what the standardistas think, but
>> personally, I'd like to just put the voted name in, and get this spec
>> done ;)
>
> Indeed. As chair, this is a formal announcement that the decision of the
> group is to use the name querySelector, and publish the last call draft
> with that name. (This gives the public a chance to raise any objection
> that they think will convince the group to open this debate and go round
> *AGAIN* - as W3C process requires - but means that within the group the
> issue is until then considered resolved by vote).

A small comment on the decision about the naming. Just to be 100% clear: this
comment is not meant be an objection, indeed the last thing I want is to delay
one more time the publication. However as I didn't participate in the pool
(partly because I was away, but also because I didn't want to break a possible
consensus) let me re-iterate my opinion on this. In terms of API you have to
design them not only with the "standartitas" or "web gurus" in mind, but for a
world of developers which includes:

- people that use DOM APIs in other languages than JavaScript (DOM API are for
example part of the Java platform)
- people that do not have English as native language

And at least for those two categories (that I'm part of) it seems to me a
getElementsBySelector() method would have been clearer than the other options.

Thanks for listening!
--
Christophe