Re: [XHR2] letting authors handle more response codes

From: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 15:27:40 +0100
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org

"Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:07:16 +0200, Stewart Brodie
> <stewart.brodie@antplc.com> wrote:
> > I don't think that introducing a new event for each (currently known!)
> > response code is a good idea.  Use the readystatechange event instead.
> It's not about currently known. It's about response codes for which the
> XMLHttpRequest object has special behavior. That's a limited range of
> response codes (listed in my opening post).

Are you seriously considering special casing each individual response code
as and when a case is made for it being useful for the client?

I think that to do that is just asking for ongoing trouble.  Just make it
generic: create a new event if you don't want to re-use the already
overburdened, overloaded and Byzantine readystatechange event. It'll be
easier to implement and forward compatible, so the problem'll be solved for
all time.

Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer
ANT Software Limited