Language Bindings for DOM Specifications and the DOMString type

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 00:35:56 +0200
To: public-webapi@w3.org

Hello public-webapi,

In the  specification
Language Bindings for DOM Specifications

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/webapi/Binding4DOM/Overview.html?rev=1.50&content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8#referencing

there is no mention of a string type. Since IDL is deficient in this area and since there is a need for careful documentation of what exactly is intended (16bit units that are mostly characters, except when they are half of a surrogate pair) I suggest that you add a section that is completely compatible with Dom Level 3 Core definition of a string type:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040407/core.html#ID-C74D1578

(unless there is some reason a string type is excluded, or unless all the requirements of DOM 3 Core are already included by reference and I didn't notice).

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG