DOMSubtreeModified

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:21:36 +0300
To: public-webapi@w3.org

Hi,

DOM Events spec is unclear with what the .relatedTarget should be in
case of DOMSubtreeModified when there are several changes in the subtree.

.relatedTarget
"If an event is instead dispatched to a subtree indicating a node was
changed within it, the relatedNode is the changed node."

DOMSubtreeModified
"It may be dispatched after a single modification to the document or, at
the implementation's discretion, after multiple changes have occurred.
The latter use should generally be used to accommodate multiple changes
which occur either simultaneously or in rapid succession."

I hope it will clarified in DOM Level 3 Events what the .relatedTarget
should be when DOMSubtreeModified is dispatched.

I propose that .relatedTarget is always null with DOMSubtreeModified.
.target gives the information which subtree was modified and other
mutation events can be used if more precise information is needed.

br,

-Olli Pettay