Re: XMLHttpRequest: Why list HTTP method names

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:23:04 -0400
To: "Robin Berjon" <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Cc: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On 10/16/06, Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2006, at 15:20, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:18:56 +0200, Robin Berjon
> > <robin.berjon@expway.fr> wrote:
> >> And you guarantee interoperability how?
> >
> > It's not the job of the XMLHttpRequest specification to guarantee
> > interoperability on HTTP level features, imho. Anyway, as
> > indicated, this is likely to be tested in the testsuite.
>
> If you can't guarantee that at least a core set of methods will work,
> the API is simply useless.

I disagree.

Common practice with HTTP is what declares what methods are in use at
any given time.  As an API to HTTP - which provides portability, not
interoperability - XHR doesn't need to say anything about that.  All
it really needs to say about methods in order to remain a good HTTP
API is "SHOULD support other methods", which we've said.

Anyhow, I think this issue is closed now, right?

Mark.