Re: XMLHttpRequest: Why list HTTP method names

From: Subbu Allamaraju <subbu.allamaraju@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:13:31 -0600
To: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
XHR is a client API and, IMO, is primarily concerned with the semantics of
the fields/methods. The method support is dictated by the nature of the
implementation. Interoperability among a class of implementations (e.g.
between various browsers) is sensible, but requiring that ALL
implementations support these methods would make the specification more
concrete/specific than necessary.

Regarding the use case I brought up, we are considering wrapped
implementations of XHR (e.g. an implementation of XHR in JavaScript wrapping
the native XHR object) to provide some client-side coordination and state
management features. There are two problems that stand in the way -

a. Method support - this is dictated by the programming model exposed to the
component developer. This model currently does not map for methods other
than GET and POST.
b. Semantics on field access - in particular the need to throw
INVALID_STATE_ERR (will start a new thread on that)

I rest my case :)

Regards,
Subbu

--