Re: ISSUE-102: CSS selectors for namespace prefixes

On Nov 15, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> FWIW, the current editor's draft says that user agents must pass the
>>> prefix argument lowercased (A-Z becomes a-z) to the
>>> lookupNamespaceURI
>>> method of the NSResolver object or ECMAScript function. This should
>>> solve this issue.
>>
>> Doesn't that make it impossible to match an uppercase prefix?  Or
>> am I missing
>> something?
>
> As it stands, prefixes in a Selector do not have a case, "x|y" and
> "X|y"
> are the same selector and the draft just defines that for both you get
> "x" as parameter to your lookup function.

I don't think the Selectors spec actually says that. It does say "the
tokenizer is case-insensitive", but Bert Bos clarified that this
doesn't mean selectors with different case are always identical, but
rather that all rules with specific strings stated in lowercase form
should be taken as using classes including both upper and lowercase
versions of each letter (whew!). In fact, selectors x|y and x|Y are
required to be different.

As far as interpreting a namespace prefix, Selectors says resolution
is entirely up to the embedding language. It might be nice in any
case to align with the CSS Namespaces draft and do something to case-
fold, as described above, but it is in no way required by the
Selectors spec.

I actually think it's a bit silly to make prefixes case insensitive
even when declared in CSS, since the most likely use case is to match
the prefix names in an XML document where they will be case-
sensitive. But that is up to the CSS WG to work out.