XMLHttpRequest and network errors

From: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap-carbon@rambler.ru>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:06:12 +0300
To: public-webapi@w3.org

Hi!

The current XMLHttpRequest spec draft doesn't mention raising exceptions when
network errors happen:

>If something goes wrong (infinite loop, network errors) the readyState
>attribute must be set to 4 (Loaded) and all other members of the object
>must be set to their initial value. Besides that, all registered event listeners
>must be removed.
>
>In future versions of this specification user agents will be required to dispatch
>an error event if the above occurs.

However, my tests show that WinIE and Firefox both raise exceptions for sync
requests when network errors occur (actually, Firefox sometimes does that even
for async requests). Was this intentionally omitted from the draft?

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov