Re: ISSUE-81: What should detail be for dblclick events?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:08:52 +0000 (UTC)
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> I'm not sure why dblclick.detail == click.detail would be better than
> dblclick.detail == 2 or dblclick.detail == some undefined value though.

It's better than "some undefined value" because "some undefined value" is
actually "a very specific value in some UA or other", which some big Web
page will end up relying on, and which will cause all other UAs to have to
do as well, and then we'll have to update the spec, and...

As I see it the options are

   associated click.detail
   2
   0

The only advantage I can see to doing the first one is that you can pass
the click and dblclick events to the same handler and hanve the handler
know whether it has seen that particular set of click events before.

If we decide to set it to a constant, it doesn't matter what the constant
is, since it's a constant.