Re: ISSUE-81: What should detail be for dblclick events?

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 12:02:26 -0700
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Web APIs Issue Tracker wrote:
>
>>Bjoern proposes that it always have a value of 2. This would be
>>consistent with all known browsers except Safari on the Mac, since
>>that is currently the only browser to fire dblclick for even click
>>counts greater than 2.
>
> I would propose dblclick.detail is not in use if it weren't for the
> usual silly "bowsers do this, so it must be required" arguments...

I can't think of any use cases where you'd want to be able to tell
appart the first double-click (corresponding to clickEvent.detail == 2)
and a second (corresponding to clickEvent.detail == 4).

However, it seems easy enough to say that the detail should be the same
as for the click event. This doesn't seem like a very harsh requirement
on implementations since the information is already available. So why not?

/ Jonas