Re: ACTION-119: dblclick analysis

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 18:18:47 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

* Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>I think dblclick.detail should be the same as the detail for the
>corresponding click event; this matches every browser that supports
>DOM events on every platform. It's not clear why making it always be
>2 would be better. I think if you want to change from the existing
>behavior it is up to you to justify it.

I would appreciate if you could include non-browsers and non-HTML test
cases in your tests and post the detailed test results. I am not sure
our understanding of "every browser" and "every platform" is the same.
For example, it is unclear which mobile devices you have tested.

>On Windows, both Internet Explorer and Firefox do not fire the
>dblclick event until the mouse button is released, so this convention
>does not apply to web content. (I tested this with my earlier posted
>test case.) IE fires dblclick instead of click, rather than in
>addition to it, which is contrary to the DOM Events requirement for
>click, but all other browsers I could find to test always fire
>dblclick after the corresponding click.

Why do you think this is contrary to the specification? I would have
thought "The definition of a click depends on the environment
configuration", "It depends on the environment configuration whether
the event type click can occur if one or more of the event types
mouseover, mousemove, and mouseout occur between the press and release
of the pointing device button", and "The notion of consecutive clicks
depends on the environment configuration" would be reasonably clear;
I don't think this is contrary to the specification.