Re: ACTION-119: dblclick analysis

* Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>It looks like Mac browsers are inconsistent on this. I used this test
>case:

For click.detail this is fine as I explained in the previous message.
For dblclick.detail it seems only Safari produces unexpected results,
i.e. dblclick.detail can be != 2. If you think we should not require
.detail to equal 2, a new issue would be due. [1]

Also note that on Windows the behavior of Firefox isn't exactly as
Anne described either, you can get to click.detail > 3 if you click
with both the left and right mouse button in rapid succession, for
example.

>All browsers seem to agree that dblclick.detail should match
>click.detail for the corresponsing click event, although Opera does
>not appear to be following Mac platform conventions for click count,
>and Firefox does not appear to be following the proposed detail % 2
>== 0 rule on the Mac.

I assumed this wasn't a proposed rule but some illustration. It is
not clear to me that we want to have this relationship. For example,
the environment might be configured to report clicks for both left
and right mouse button clicks, but double clicks can only occur if
performed with the left mouse button. Or the environment might be
such that in a sequence of clicks the double click can only occur
once (as Firefox apparently does on your platform). And in fact,
the platform convention on Windows is that you get the double click
before you release the button the second time [2], while we require
the button to be released for a "click" to occur.

So I was going to say that the notion of a double click depends on
the environment configuration, just like we do for 'click'.

[1] A proposal to specify that .detail is not in use for it providing
    no useful information and/or being inconsistent in implementations
    you certainly have my +1, but I'm afraid there would be the usual
    objections to that...

[2] the sequence is activate, buttondown, buttonup, activate, dblclk,
    buttonup on Windows; applications sometimes do things differently
    to associate other actions with the double click, e.g. selection
    of words instead of activation of an object.