Re: Headers / caches proposal (revised)

On 2006/05/02, at 1:33 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Combining these lists, your list does not include Connection,
> Upgrade, Expect, Via, From, Max-Forwards or Proxy-Authorization.
> Are you convinced all those are safe? Do you think my specific
> justifications for Connection, Upgrade and Expect were wrong?

WRT Connection: Mark Baker made an argument that someone may design
an extension that is hop-by-hop, and therefore needs to be added to
Connection. Note that the proposal doesn't allow it to be
overwritten; only appended to.

WRT Upgrade: I think you're right.

WRT Expect: I think you're right, but there should also be a section
about E/C handling in send().

WRT From: I don't think any software actually uses this to inform
behaviour; it's just a way to give a more persistent address for the
user.

WRT Max-Forwards: I'm ambivalent about this one. It could be useful
in debugging proxies, etc. and it has pretty well-defined behaviour...

WRT Proxy-Authorization: Authorization is allowed to be overwritten,
so it seems reasonable to allow Proxy-Auth too (although the use case
would indeed be pretty esoteric; I suppose someone doing something
inside the firewall might want to do something here...)

> Your list also includes Accept-Charset, I think that one could
> reasonably either be forbidden or allowed.

Does DOMString expose the character encoding? I thought it was just a
character abstraction based on Unicode (again, I'm not a DOM expert,
much less an i18n one...)

> I also think the spec should justify why headers are disallowed
> rather than just stating it, it seems oddly out of context to just
> give an arbitrary list.

It was discussed at the F2F yesterday; that might be contributing to
that oddness. I agree there should be justification, but I don't know
that the spec text needs to show the math, so to speak.

I'll send out a revised proposal shortly.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
mnot@yahoo-inc.com