Re: ISSUE-55: wheelDelta DOM attribute for mousewheel event

On Mar 27, 2006, at 6:40 AM, Web APIs Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-55: wheelDelta DOM attribute for mousewheel event
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/issues/55
>
> Raised by: Anne van Kesteren
> On product: DOM 3 Events
>
> Per previous resolutions we resolved to have a "wheel" event and
> that we'd call
> it mousewheel. The event would generic. The issue regarding
> multiple directions
> is ISSUE-33. There another open issue though with regard to what we
> do with
> .wheelDelta. Possible options I see:
>
>  (a) Don't mention it and use UIEvent.detail instead
>  (b) Extend MouseEvent with wheelDelta
>  (c) Have a special interface for mousewheel.
>  (d) Do (a) but have wheelDelta in the ECMAScript binding mapped to
>      UIEvent.detail in some way.

Admittedly this is tied up with ISSUE-56, but I think (c) is the best
option. It's what implementors should do anyway, therefore we should
specify it. Also, two of the three proposals for how to handle
horizontal wheel events require an extended interface for WheelEvent
anyway.

> (When considering this it might be worth keeping in mind that other
> interfaces
> also don't really have "every" attribute browsers implemented
> represented.)

True but when you standardize a de facto standard feature, you may as
well standardize the way it actually works. What would be the
advantage of leaving out wheelDelta?