Re: in defence of listener discovery

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 03:48:10 +0100
To: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Cc: WebAPI WG <public-webapi@w3.org>, wai-liaison@w3.org

* Al Gilman wrote:
>Question:
>Why does the accessibility community want the hasEventListener?
>Actually, as I read the current Note, it is willTrigger and not
>hasEventListener that is the key method to enable the functionality
>needed for UI adaptablility.

I note that the functionality provided by these methods is already
available in cases where listeners are registered using conventional
onclick="" XML attributes, proprietary .onclick DOM properties, and
related facilities like XML Events and SMIL markup. Especially for
HTML-based applications it is quite common to rely exclusively on
these means. If there are any tools, even if experimental, that make
use of these facilities to provide the functionality you'd like to
see it would be good to know more about them.