Re: Call for Java volunteers

On Mar 20, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> Hi Maciej.
>
> I would be happy to help with this.  Batik, whose code I am familiar
> with, supports Java scripting.

Awesome!

> Maciej Stachowiak:
>> We need spec reviewers who understand Java well:
>>     - The main sections of the spec need review to make sure they
>> are implementable and sane in Java
>>     - The Java language bindings will need close review
>
> I can do this.

Great!

>> We need Java programmers to write tests:
>>     - We need to make sure our test frameworks can support Java. The
>> one I have so far is totally ECMAScript-centric.
>>     - We need individual test cases in Java.
>
> Since Batik supports SVG and not HTML, is this a problem for the test
> harnesses?  Do you want HTML output?

The test framework makes SVG, HTML and XHTML versions of the tests
for ECMAScript. For Java it could make just SVG versions, if that is
the only thing we have available to test.

>> We need implementors for Java-based implementations:
>>     - We need at least a bare bones test implementation to even be
>> able to write Java tests.
>>     - We'll need two real interoperable implementations to exit CR
>> with Java bindings defined.
>
> Batik currently has an implementation of DOM 3 Events as it stood
> before
> its recent revisions.  It also has a window object that matches
> most of
> what ASV has.  It does not support XHR at the moment; only
> getURL/postURL/parseXML.

That sounds like an ok starting point for Window testing, at least.

>> I definitely don't have the expertise to do any of this for Window. I
>> hope people can volunteer to help with these areas (whether they are
>> on the working group or not).
>
> Just let me know any specifics about what you'd like.

I'd love it if you could take a look at the Window spec and see if
anything right now seems wildly insane for Java. (Some of the weirder
features we will have to specify as specific to the ECMAScript
language binding, I think.)

I think the next important step will be to get the test framework set
up to be able to handle Java tests. This doesn't necessarily have to
work for all host languages, just ones where we have a Java DOM
implementation.