Re: Safe copy and paste with scripts

Le Mon, 06 Mar 2006 23:19:13 +0200, Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org> a
écrit:

> ROBO Design wrote:
>> This feature is already available in IE and Gecko. AFAIK Opera 9 is
>> also implementing something like that, because they added rich-text
>> editing support (contentEditable).
>>
>> A spec to standardize clipboard access would be needed, because
>> currently each browser has its own way.
> Can you be more precise which spec you are mentionning ?

I wasn't referring to any *specific* spec. It can be a new one, in which
this would fit in, or ... any of the current specs being worked on (of
course, if there's one which could have this).

> Before I started working on copy and paste of formulae for ActiveMath,
> the MSIE API seemed to be interesting... six months later... googling
> for the same just gives pages and pages of security warnings to please
> update your MSIE... before you actually get to the API documentation.
> I don't think what they provide is reasonable or takeable and i believe
> this is because of the clipboard access without user-gestures.

Exactly that's the problem.

> I have never discovered one in Gecko... but maybe this is only granted
> to XUL apps, or at least trusted javascript ?

Take a look at: http://www.mozilla.org/editor/midasdemo/

That's a pretty old WYSIWYG editor demo for Gecko. They do allow web pages
to cut/copy/paste only if the user grants access. They don't currently
provide an UI for enabling the feature, but the capability is in place.

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future