Re: ACTION-61: text for embedding part of the Window object

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> When a document has no referencing element that points to it the
> document is the <dfn>root element</dfn>.

Root document, I assume.

> <code>window.frameElement</code> from a child document MUST reflect the
> referencing element. <code>window.parent</code> MUST reflect the parent
> document Window object. <code>window.top</code> MUST reflect the root
> document Window object.

What does "reflect" mean in this context? Don't you mean "return a
reference to"? Are these properties read-only? Are they replaceable in JS?

> If there is no referencing element, parent document or root document the
> attributes MUST be <code>null</code> respectively.

window.parent and window.top return "window" in these cases, IIRC. I
recommend testing this carefully.

> <code>window.name</code> from a child document MUST initially reflect the name
> assigned by the referencing element.

Not sure what you mean by "from a child document" here (or "reflect", or
"assigned by the referencing element).

> How this name is assigned is language specific. If there is no
> referencing element this attribute MUST be the empty string. The
> document itself can change its name by changing <code>window.name</code>
> to any arbitrary string.

That last sentence is non-normative. Do you mean that the attribute's
value must be mutable and that its setter must set the value to the
literal value given?