Re: Safe copy and paste with scripts

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:18:07 -0000
To: "'Web APIs WG'" <public-webapi@w3.org>

"Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
> Doug Schepers wrote:
>> I don't think that the risk of nasty hacks outweighs the utility of
>> clipboard access.
> Perhaps, but what are the use cases for giving the author access to my
> clipboard?  I think the user already has sufficient control over the
> clipboard to cut, copy and paste using a variety of methods including
> keyboard shortcuts, context menus, Edit menu, etc.  Under what
> circumstances would a) the author need access to the clipboard, and b) the
> user grant such access?

The ability to copy non-visible things is very useful, the ability to copy a
modified version i.e. the same motivation as a print stylesheet but for

For example, the user copies their flight itinerary from
www.virtuallythere.com, currently many things from it are not very useful,
they contain links to irrelevant places in a text format, tidying it up into
a regular text format would be a useful feature - I've done similar things
with labelling applications etc. previously.